How I solved the problem of not making holes in the car!
Back in December 2011 Sue, my XYL, and I decided that we no longer needed the Kia Sedona as there was now only two of us at home number one daughter, Jane, having left for university. A trip to Thorntrees Garage up in Leyland resulted in us purchasing an adapted wheelchair accessible VW Caddy.
Obviously I wanted to continue to have my mobile operation with my FT-8900 but didn't want to drill holes in the vehicle. I also wanted to add the provision for HF mobile operation with my FT-897D and therefore wanted two antenna fixings. Due to the modifications to the vehicle I didn't think that a hatch back mount would work or indeed any of the other similar mounts. A mag mount for HF is too cumbersome and so I had a look at the roof.
Mills on the Air
The weekend of May 12th - 13th 2013 saw the annual Mills on the Air event and, having now got the station somewhat functional, I decided to fire up the '897 and see what was going on. As usual 40m was horribly noisy with all manner of local QRN hitting the aerial and finding its way into the rig. But, despite the efforts of electrical equipment in the vicinity, I did manage to make a few contacts.